Wednesday, November 3, 2010

6 Days, 5 Nights: Blue

Yesterday, we braved the course of a long journey to a very unprecedented trip we never thought we will have. Yes, it was a shock, tiring and expectantly fun.

We tread water of unknown depths now, somehow amused as the machine hungers for more gasoline to power its long kick above the deep blue. The waves smoother than yesterday, the sea calm and the weather couldn’t be better. A mass of sea grass from the forest below floats away as the ship passes them, unnerved by the counter-force it does as effect of treading against the upcoming current. I can’t hide the excitement and expectation of seeing marine life suddenly surfacing from deep below though at some point broken to the fact that the season for such biodiversity is imaginary as to ever happening. Yet, I’m hoping.

I looked down, amazed and scared to know that something so harmless to the naked eye can be very striking and perilous at the same time. I can be as courageous as a lion to tread the sea on a ship, believing in such fateful event that it should sink, I have a craft or a life vest at hand to save me but with it should I dare to be close to it that I’ll be falling for its embrace would do me more than a dose of narcotic. Regrettable to appreciating a good-looking creation but in some spur of reality I have no hunch of ever be coming its victim.

It gets bluer now; perhaps an effect to the sky’s sudden darkness, a good group of nimbus gathers 20,000 feet above sea level and the sun close behind it covered in a shade of grey. Spending this timely hour with a good book would do me fine but doing this fruitful produce would just do me even more. My companions have long drifted to sleep, awake beside the cool breeze as I sit here is just the thing I should be in. I sailed to a simple fantasy on how one would find consolation by doing some captain’s log as I may call my present situation. For if I was a captain, I’d be filling in my log with writings far expected by my superiors at sea, taking notes of the most minute of details of the trip, the plain adoration of every different vista seen as we tramp the barren blue. But as I get back, even if I am no captain, I can log away those tiny little details at my gusto.

A tug boat from afar, reels in another ship behind it, it looks old, quite odd for a ship. Ah, it’s carrying sand, it must’ve been trenching from a nearby coast. Ha! How I love the world of science. I was always good at it. We passed by just along it. It looks far now.

Still no dolphins! Oh, how I can wish for the kraken. That was a laugh. If that happens, this story wouldn’t have reached your eyes and you wouldn’t as well be enjoying this humdrum.

Some hour has passed, I guess. Good thing the weather is fine not the ones I get to experience when I have my own trip likes this. I think this contributes to the month too. It’s early November and the cool winds from the north of the country should come its way through the lower islands far south. The sky looks like a ceiling only higher than the ones at home. The wind is not moist, not even salty to the taste (as I had just lick my lips, it has dried for awhile). The ocean, bluer than ever and the waves a bit bigger. A peanut-butter sandwich can add to the trick, hunger has crept without me knowing it. That explains I’m somehow lost in trance for an empty idea.

Still no dolphins! Perhaps if I find a whale I’ll jump off the ship and hug it, going with through its journey for a long migration. Hmmm… I would love to see them one day, maybe meet one in person. Touch it or even talk to it (duh! Yes they talk; just do those whale talk you saw in some cartoon movie of a clown fish. Don’t tell me you haven’t seen that?? Bleh :P ).

It’s drizzling! Islands don’t have the same weather at the same time, not unless they sit close by each other. But Cebu & Bohol?? So much different. The other may look fine from some distance but on some meteorological event, the other island looks damped from a good raining the other night.

Still no dolphins! And we’re nearing the coast. Bodies of water especially in between islands differ from depths, coastlines would go around 20ft – 50 ft in depth, comes the middle of the ocean that would go to 100ft or more. It’s not as deep as the wide seas that bigger ships stride from a country to another. But this one would still be as deep as it can get for an average man. There is more life in between coast than in the middle of the ocean besides the deep trenches where unknown life forms awaits discovery. Alien in a world man has thought of his owning. The coast provides more shelter for smaller fishes, a nursery for hatchlings and a breeding ground for some migrating ones. In the depths on the other hand is a survival ground, big or small the motto goes, “Eat or get EATen”. Quite comparable to mankind, huh?? But it’s the great circle of life, some beings should be devoured for the growth of another. Brutal but that is a world of creations constantly in evolution---a dynamic process.

Still no dolphins!

No comments: