Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What’s your flavor?

I know, I know. The title would really be confusing after you read this but I really think it would sound nice. I was doin’ some marinate and it took me awhile to realize that I missed something else, an ingredient so fine that when you just add it up everything would fall into place and there inside the fridge, clanking as I opened the fridge door was the long-necked figure of a bottle of vodka! Isn’t it FUN or what?? I opened the cap and there it was, like some perfume soothing the cilia of my nostrils was the strong aroma of intoxication (speaking like a CRAZEd alcoholic).

Just a few drops and the marinate was a PERFECT tummy tumble… uh-umm.
I can smell it’s slow effect on the marinate as chicken broth, citrus extracts, crushed garlic, minced onions, soy and vinegar flowed in unison inside the small Tupperware full of chicken.

Liquor, wine and spirits are like HEAVEN sent for me, you might think I am so into it that I am addicted but No! I’m not! It’s just that the first time I ever tasted them it was the sort of gastronomique experience every living food lover and wine lover would say, “well AGEd…”.

Drinking alcohol was never a taboo in our family, I could even remember the time my father used to tell the story when I got drunk when I was like 6 years old out of a few SIPs on a San Miguel Pilsen (imagine!?!?), I just passed out like some boxer knocked down, rolling my eyes to an endless ball of white sclera and just a few hours of dozing I woke them up, me of course---crying complaining how my head aches and feeling dizzy and all unknown to me that I just have my first hangover. Being the eldest, I would be the first, which means FIRST in almost EVERY thing so the luxury of tasting whatever my father brings home from work was all mine for the taking. Wine, Champagne, even some Whiskey, Brandy and the ones that burn your throats but I had my tongue on drinking Wine and Champagne, which I preferred much, I consider these two as water of the gods and goddesses when I’ve read about Greek history (what do you call that drink again?? Oh yeah, and I have to Google it!!) when I reached my book-ish years-----it’s like my very own Nectar & Ambrosia (there you go!).

It was good then… tasting all those drinks. We are social drinkers, ALL of us and I mean our entire family. We share a drink at social events, mostly reunions, my father usually saves a bottle or two from his journeys and share with close relatives, friends and maybe some guests, while my mom would go for the wine, healthier and less intoxicating. At my growing years, these drinks were never a common guest nor were it a party spoiler. It was the LIFE and I can say the LIFE of every EVENT.
But my tongue was never meant to taste only a few, come college was the FEAT of my experiences. Then and there drinking was the JOY of every MAN. It was like getting your own birth rights for drinking sparingly with friends, getting drunk all over and experiencing hangover like it was last week I had one… it was FUN. College years especially the last two years was the busiest and those times were spent more in books, papers to be done and sometimes a good escape from it would be spending a face-to-face take with one “BOTTLES” of light beer, a few laughs and some twirl walking when going home. I survived. It was a STRESS reliever, even if I may have been HONEST with my parents about it, they sure know I have been TASTE-ing LIFE for myself without even reaching 21. How’s that?!

But I never took my studies for granted, I passed my degree… aced it, I think. Lessons were also learned during those days… not a day especially when I’m havin’ a hangover would I say, “I WILL not drink… no. I really won’t” but these lines will just have to repeat on paraphrased forms. I think drunken-ness does not imply that a person is an alcoholic or is addicted to it. He or she may just be passin’ away time, stress (perhaps) or maybe problems (even it is so not a good idea), and even getting your own way of dealing with a boring review (getting tipsy and laugh out a question from the lecturer). People drink for a cause, no matter what their reasons may be as long as one controls it or discipline him/herself there is nothing wrong with a little indulgence. A kick from your gizzard can do the trick.

So like I said, this blog would really sound weird but I love the confusion…

So what is it then?? What’s your flavor?!

No comments: